Thursday, May 4, 2017

O Canada Quilt Complete

Its been ages since I posted. I keep sewing and quilting; just not posting :(

Here is my finished O Canada quilt. I'm delighted with it. It's super happy with all the bright colours. Made entirely from my stash, which makes me even happier.

The pattern is by Cheryl Arkison and is available here : http://www.cherylarkison.com/diningroomempire/2013/06/oh-canada-pattern-release.html

I quilted it using Glide thread in the same faint pink as Aloha Pink Lady. This colour blends so well with the white background pieces. I'm still over-the-moon with the performance of the Glide and will continue to use it on everything. For the actual quilting, I did my favourite, a loop-de-loop.

Flannel on the back, as always, to make it cozy.

Friday, January 13, 2017

Quilt Retreat Placemat

Two things happened during my last retreat; the gals were talking about how great Glide thread was, and; I was the only one there without a personal placemat for meals. What's a quilter to do? Make a placemat to using scraps AND test out the thread.

It turns out I love Glide thread as much as my other quilt friends do. I did have some breakage, but I love the shiny look of it. And it was extremely affordable. I paid $16 for 5000 meters.

I will defineley use it again and again!






Sunday, January 8, 2017

Aloha, Pink Lady Quilted!

Aloha, Pink Lady became a completed quilt on December 23!

I used soft pink Glide thread and loved how it performed. I'm a Glide convert now.

Generally, I use flannel for the back of quilts, but this wonderful pink batik was on sale. In real life it's positively gorgeous & I'm over the moon with my choice.

The quilting was not without its challenges, though. I loaded the back on horizontally and not vertically so I ran out of backing 12" shy. I had to take the unfinished quilt off the frame, cut the excess from the sides, sew them together and then sew that Frankenstein piece back onto the almost finished quilt back. It was tricky and I was devastated about ruining a quilt top that was pieced perfectly. But, I kept going and guess what? You can't even see the piece I added and the quilt is gorgeous! I'm in love!

The black polka dot binging with the pink just "wowed" me. This may be the start of a pink and black phase in my quilting.  I liked it so much I made my DIL a Christmas stocking in the same colour way.











Friday, December 9, 2016

Jane Deere - AKA Plow Day

I made my version of Lori Holt's fun "Plow Day", but I named mine "Jane Deere".
http://beeinmybonnetco.blogspot.ca/2015/08/farm-girl-friday-week-17-starters-and.html

I started with the plow. There are about a million pieces to it, but it went together pretty well.

Then I made a thousand pinwheels.  I am thrilled with the results. Pardon the wrinkles; she has been folded up too long.

Given my colour choices, I wanted to name my version "Jane Deere" and I did not use the John Deere font as I wanted her to have her own identity.

I can't wait to get this one quilted up.

I used the left over scraps from this project to make my Aloha, Pink Lady quilt (http://lazylabquiltcompany.blogspot.ca/2016/09/wow-its-been-ages.html)




Thursday, December 1, 2016

Oh Canada Quilt Top

I made this fun Oh Canada quilt top. The pattern is from Cheryl Arkison.
http://www.hyggeligt.ca/oh-canada-pattern-by-cheryl-arkison/

I have the backing and batting and I am hoping to have it quilted up by the New Year. We'll see! It would be great to have it done for Canada's 150th anniversary celebrations!




Friday, November 25, 2016

Denim Quilt - Quilted

I showed this quilt in July 2015 as a completed top, but not as a completed quilt. Here it is all quilted up!








Tuesday, November 22, 2016

Handy-Dandy Ruler Tote

I attended a small class with friends on Saturday and made this super handy ruler tote for attending retreats.

It measures 25.5" X 40" flat. It has two sleeves (25.5" X 22.5") on either side into which you can insert your 24" X 18" cutting matt, your sewing extension table, etc, etc. Onto these sleeves you sew pockets for your rulers and accessories.

I chose to sew only 3 pockets; one for my 24.5" X 6.5" ruler (my favourite ruler), a small one for my 6.5" X 6.5" ruler, and another for my rotary cutter. Most of the other attendees sewed many more pockets than I did. One of the benefits of fewer pockets is less weight; one of the obvious drawbacks is not having enough pockets. Time will tell.

In the meantime, I am delighted with the result. I noticed that I learned a lot from making the bowling bag that I used with this tote. For instance, I used a scant 1/8" seam to baste everything together knowing that my binding seam would be 1/4" and I didn't want the basting thread to show. You always learn something.

I have also noticed that I neglect to post in-progress photos on my blog. I'll try to make an effort to post more as I go photos.

 There is 24" X 18"cardboard in the sleeves to keep them stiff and ensure nothing gets warped or bent.
 Here is a photo of the items placed on top of the pockets.

 Here is one of the 2 large sleeves.
 Here is the other.

Here is the outer front of the bag.